Thursday, November 12, 2009

We got rid of it


After advertising in the local paper and putting signs on our cars and at the end of our driveway, we got rid of a puppy today.
That sounds so awful to me. Maybe because of hushed conversations I overheard in the girls' bathroom in high school, that went like this:

"I heard Janice got pregnant."
"But I heard she got rid of it."
This was long before abortion was legal, so getting rid of a baby then was even more of an ordeal than it is now.
So, we got rid of a puppy today, but we think he went to a good home - a dog lover who already has a golden retriever but wanted another dog for her kids. She chose the biggest black male puppy (unnamed by us).
So that leaves 10 puppies. One less mouth to feed. One less tail to wag when I come home.

No comments: