Friday, February 19, 2010

9 Dogs Barking

The 9 Dogs Howling ranch is located in rural west Tennessee. Our nearest neighbors are cows. We love it here, but sometimes it's a bit creepy living out in farm country. Although I seem to spend a lot of time telling them to shut up, from time to time I'm actually grateful for my dogs' barking. Like today, when a strange car came down our long driveway, stopped and began honking. Not the mail carrier, not the UPS or Fed Ex deliveryperson, not the gas company or electric company. Who could it be? While the dogs went on Red Alert, I waited in my study to see if someone would come to the front door. After a few moments, I went into the living room and looked out to see a strange, somewhat scruffy man on the porch. The creepy feeling began to overtake me, and I was suddenly glad to see Jinx and Meg hurling themselves at the window with teeth bared. (I just hoped this guy couldn't see their wagging tails). I peeked out the door and asked him, "Can I help you?"

He smiled - no teeth - and said, "I think I have the wrong house."

"Who are you looking for?"

He said something I couldn't understand (lack of teeth may have been hindering his speech).

I said, "Never heard of them."

He just stood there on the porch, smiling. The creep-out factor rose 100%. But by then 6 of the dogs were holllering and slobbering on the windows, and the guy must have figured out that the noise alone was a disadvantage to him, so he finally turned, went back to his car, and drove away.

So this time, I told my crew, "Good dogs!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go dogs!