Monday, May 17, 2010

Here to stay

The new puppy is here to stay. We compromised and are calling him Goofy (he does kind of look like the Disney Goofy). This morning I called the vet's office, identified myself, and said, "We seem to have acquired another dog." The woman laughed, so I said, "If people would just stop dropping off animals here..."

She said, "I know, I know." I described Goofy to her and she laughed again when I told her his name. He has an appointment for a checkup and shots on Thursday morning. Mr. P. is taking that day off and can ferry the Goofster to the vet while I labor in the Marts of Trade (as my mom used to call it.)

I had to go to Memphis today for a doctor appointment. When I got home at 7:30 pm, Goofy, Blackie, and Miss Kitty all clamored for my attention. I sat down on the gently-inclined sit-up board Mr. P. has in the garage and let Goofy climb into my lap for hugs and kisses. Blackie was not happy about sharing my attention, but I managed to pet them both for several minutes. Then Goofy jumped down, rushed around to Blackie's hefty rear end, and started humping her. She was NOT amused by that (despite my laughter) and growled at him. He retreated for a few minutes, then jumped on her again, with similar results. I told him, "Wait until I tell your daddy about that. He'll be so proud!"

Inside the house, I had to greet and pet the 7 indoor dogs, plus Mr. P., while unpacking all the paraphenalia I had taken to Memphis. While chatting with Mr. P., I somehow found a way to say, "I'd kind of like to incorporate Goofy into the rest of the indoor dogs, but I'm not sure if there'd be room for him in the doghouse (the outdoor shed where the pups sleep), and who knows how big he'll get?"

I thought for sure Mr. P. would say no way, he's going to weigh 90 lbs. one day and we cannot have one more dog in this house. But he said, "I don't think he's going to get that big."

Yahoo! Bringing Goofy inside will just add to the deterioration of our home, but it will give him much-needed play and snuggle time with other dogs. Playing with Miss Kitty is good, but being with the other dogs will help the little guy mature, and being restricted to the house and fenced-in yard will keep him from becoming Road Pizza.

No comments: