Saturday, May 30, 2009

Good morning, Mom!

My friend Lisa told me how touched she was by the way one of her Schnauzers greeted her this morning. He put his front paws on her lap, his chin on her thigh. and gave her an almost-human look of love.

Fritz's good morning greeting reminds me of a story my mom used to tell about Cal, the black lab we had when I was a baby. Apparently he was huge, friendly, and stupid. One of his favorite things was to roam around the neighborhood stealing soiled sanitary napkins from trash cans and bringing them home to Mom. She'd go after him and he'd run, so she'd hop in her little Morris Minor and chase him with the car. Since he loved car rides, this usually got his attention.

Anyway, at the end of one very long trying day of Cal and baby care, Mom sat down to relax. Cal loped over to her, rested his big head in her lap, and looked up at her with soulful eyes.

She said, "Oh, Cal, you really do love me, don't you. I'm sorry I yelled at you today."

And he then puked a nice warm loaf of barf into her lap.

1 comment:

Lisa O. said...

Thank goodness Fritz wasn't asking for the car keys! With that heart-melting look I just might have given in to him even though he's clearly not old enough to drive!