Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Who's the Alpha Dog?


We had a loud, snarling discussion this morning on the hotly-contested subject of Who's the Alpha Dog? I had to break it up by slapping Jinx with a box of Kleenex (animal abuse, I know, but it was actually the sound of the slap and not the pain of it that got his attention).


When I was at Wal-Mart earlier today, I bought a red, hard rubber dumbbell shaped dog toy. Since dogs are color-blind, I have to assume this toy is bright red so that the humans in the household are more likely to spot it and avoid tripping on it. Anyway, I wrestled it out of its plastic packaging and tossed it into the living room. Georgie (who never plays with toys) immediately grabbed it, and growled when the other dogs poked their noses at it. The other dogs backed off at this warning, but not Jinx. Suddenly I had a dog fight on my hands. Everybody had to get involved. After I broke it up and reprimanded Jinx, Georgie decided he didn't want the toy any more. Since then, Meg has been monopolizing it. In this photo, you can almost see the toy near her nose. So I guess Meg wins the Alpha Dog Contest today.

No comments: